Skip to main content

Individual Enrollment Overview

For U.S. Citizens or U.S Permanent Residents/Green Card holders who are enrolled at a U.S. institution or on a recognized study abroad program and who are temporarily engaged in international educational or cultural activities outside their home country are eligible for coverage.

Upon successful completion of enrollment, you will receive an email from "CISI Enrollments" containing your personalized ID card and consulate letter as well as a detailed coverage brochure with claim form.

Which plan is right for you?


  • $50,000 medical max per illness or injury
  • Coverage provided worldwide
  • 24-7-365 emergency assistance
  • Personal effects coverage from theft or damage(not available for CT or NY residents)
  • Payment guarantees to hospitals worldwide
  • Ability to reimburse in foreign currencies
  • Quick and easy enrollment online

Upgraded Comprehensive

  • Includes the Basic plan PLUS:
  • Reduce your deductible to $0
  • Increase your coverage to $250,000
  • Personal effects coverage from theft or damage(not available for CT or NY residents)
  • Trip Interruption
  • Round trip tickets for parents if you are hospitalized
  • Security Evacuation

Why do you need study abroad health/accident insurance?

  • Most US plans are not as comprehensive and flexible as plans that are specifically designed to cover a student during a period of study in a foreign country.
  • Having insurance coverage that meets the unique demands of a summer, semester or a year abroad is extremely important.
  • CISI's World Class Coverage Plan for US Students Studying Abroad, offers coverage starting at $34.00 per month for students age 25 years and younger.

Still not sure...?

Here are some questions to consider...

  • Do you know if your current plan covers you while outside the US?
  • Can your current insurer verify benefits, as well as guarantee and facilitate direct payments for medical services to foreign hospitals?
  • In an emergency, is your current insurer available toll-free from anywhere in the world 24 hours a day 7 days a week and can they communicate in the appropriate foreign language?
  • Does your current plan provide coverage for emergency evacuations (by ground or air ambulance) from an accident site to the nearest adequate medical facility?


We insure over 100,000 cultural exchange participants per year and work solely with carriers rated A or better by A.M. Best. CISI specializes in providing accident and sickness medical insurance, emergency assistance, and in-house claim and administrative services to individuals and groups engaged in international education or cultural exchange.

This is where our experience lies and therefore where our focus remains. Your study abroad trip should be a safe, rewarding, and enjoyable experience. Having insurance coverage is having peace of mind.

CISI has the experience to insure your cultural experience!

Participant Testimonial

"I wasn't expecting to get sick during my trip to Florence. Insurance was the last thing on my mind. Fortunately, I had purchased the plan and the emergency assistance team was able to make direct hospital payments. My insurance provider at home would have never been able to pay in foreign currency. In fact, most insurance providers don’t cover you outside the U.S. The emergency assistance team was great! They guaranteed the payment so I could get the surgery I needed. I'm glad I enrolled with CISI."

This testimonial came from Amy Rodia, a study abroad participant on the Florence program from AIFS.

Have a Question?

Email CISI

or call toll-free

(800) 303-8120

Need to Register an online account?

If you have already purchased insurance from us but have not received login details, please go ahead and register with us. Registered users have 24/7 access to View, Print and Email ID card, consulate letter and other policy related materials.

Forgot your password?

Use this to reset your password.